Tuesday 27 May 2008

The Charity


If you’ve seen me in the last few weeks you may know that I’ve recently started wearing spectacles for reading. They’re a minor annoyance that I’m sure I’ll get used to before long. But finding my eyesight in need of slight correction after many years of more or less perfect vision has made me realise how much I take the ability to see things – and see them clearly - for granted.

In my case putting on my reading glasses makes my vision perfect again. However I know that many people are not so fortunate. That’s why I’m using this ride as an opportunity to raise money for Derbyshire Association for the Blind.

DAB is a registered charity providing services and support to visually impaired people throughout Derbyshire (where I grew up), with a small paid staff supported by a large number of volunteers. They help not only the totally blind but also the much larger number of people who have a partial sight loss. I saw a DAB collection box recently which seemed to sum up why I wanted to support them. On the side of the box it simply said, in very large print, “If you or somebody you know has difficulty seeing and does not know what to do, call DAB on 01332 292 262.” Many of us are likely to suffer a visual impairment as we grow older. I hope that if this happens to me I will be able to turn to an organisation like DAB.

Please support me on my 950-mile ride with a donation to Derbyshire Association for the Blind. You can use my donations page at justgiving.com here.